Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Chocolate

Spaniards are not big on breakfast. It's a small affair, and always sweet. A Spanish favorite is churros & chocolate where one dips the pastry into a cup of warm, thick chocolate. Needless to say, my family was anticipating this one even before we arrived here! So, I (Andrea) picked up some chocolate mix at the market first thing- (there's a whole section of instant mixes like our pudding selection at home) and some croissants for dipping. I went to school and left them to their indulgences. Here is the account as I heard it upon my return home: Brian whipped up his chocolate, making much more than needed in his zeal. So, he thins some of the extra into mugs of hot chocolate. They all sit down to their choclocate feast, the kids gulp their first coated croissants and wash them down with the hot chocolate. Corrie goes for her second, dips it into chocolate, brings it to her mouth, then without even taking a bite, sets it down, lays on the couch, and groans, "My tummy hurts."

Here is a picture of us enjoying our first real churros & chocolate at a Chocolatier in Madrid. We all agree it makes a better snack than breakfast! We had to stop them from drinking the cups of chocolate after our churros were gone! =)

2 comments:

Darcy said...

Chocolate for breakfast sounds like a great way to start off the day, but just like Corrie, I'd probably wind up a tummy ache for having started off the day with something way too sweet. LOL.

Anonymous said...

I would eat that for all 3 meals if I could! Chocolate, yum yum!